Strong attendance and excellent participation marked a very successful ASPI 2016 Fall Meeting. WestRock hosted the ninth ASPI Fall Customer Alignment meeting in November, 2016, near its headquarters in Norcross, GA.
Every fall, the ASPI Customer Alignment meeting is hosted by a leading pulp, paper, or packaging company, which gives attendees the rare chance to network with their customers’ senior executives. This year’s event was no exception, and included breakout sessions, panel presentations, and even a WestRock trade fair featuring representatives from each of the host company’s business units.
Results from the attendee surveys offer the best endorsement. When asked, “Did you gain specific ideas/concepts that could be directly applied to your company?” a full 100 percent of attendees answered “Yes.”
The name says it all: ASPI’s Customer Alignment Initiative is designed to help industry suppliers and mill customers align their goals and perspectives to enhance success on both sides of the relationship. The Fall Meeting kicked off the effort with an “Overview of WestRock” panel discussion. Attendees had the chance to submit a variety of specific questions for panelists Ward Dickson, WestRock CFO; and Jeff Chalovich, president, corrugated packaging at WestRock.
When asked, “Which markets outside North America does WestRock consider key?” Dickson answered, “We plan to follow our customers.” He also outlined growth potential in Brazil, as well as the company’s established presence in India.
The 2015 merger between RockTenn and MeadWestvaco that formed WestRock was also a topic of interest. When asked about the “biggest surprise” since the merger, Chalovich gave insight into the deal’s success. “The way the teams have come together has been a pleasant surprise,” he told attendees. “We were very deliberate and intentional about culture—we asked our people around the world about the strengths of both companies. It’s been very positive.”
More details about the outstanding Fall Meeting program will be available on this page in future issues, in expanded coverage in the ASPI member newsletter, and on the ASPI website. Only ASPI members have access to program presentations from past meetings, and only ASPI members may attend the Fall Customer Alignment meeting. To learn how your company can become an ASPI member, visit www.aspinet.org.
Welcome New Members
ASPI is dedicated to providing forums for its member supplier executives to connect with one another, and with executives from their customers. ASPI is pleased to welcome the following new member companies:
• Global color and specialty chemicals company Archroma US Inc. is committed to innovation, world-class quality standards, high service levels, cost efficiency, and sustainability. archroma.com
• Axchem USA is a leader in water-soluble solutions for the pulp and paper industry. axchemgroup.com
• Founded in 1968, ChemTreat is a US$500 million specialty chemical company with primary markets in North, Latin, and South America. chemtreat.com
• Enerquin Air is a worldwide manufacturer of drying equipment for the tissue and paper industry, with expertise in energy optimization. enerquin.com
• With 90 years experience in mining and processing kaolin clay, KaMin LLC delivers value to customers worldwide with high-quality solutions for the most demanding applications. kaminllc.com
• KBR meets the demands of industrial markets including pulp and paper, offering EPC services, project management, feasibility studies, detail engineering, startup support, laser scanning, construction, and more. kbr.com
• Founded in 1999, OMNOVA Solutions Inc. is a global manufacturer of emulsion polymers, specialty chemicals, and functional and decorative surfaces. omnova.com
The 2016 ASPI Customer Alignment Meeting was hosted by WestRock.