As each year comes to a close, we take time to reflect on our accomplishments and anticipate the new achievements to which we aspire. In addition to hosting several successful events in 2016, TAPPI has decided to embark on a new one next year: Tissue 2017.
Since 2012, PaperCon has hosted the Tissue 360° Forum, a tissue industry-focused symposium providing its own distinct technical program, keynote speakers, exhibits, and affiliate activities. Due to its growing popularity, TAPPI recognized the importance of establishing this event as its own separate conference.
Next year, TAPPI will partner with RISI to host Tissue 2017, an international tissue conference to be held October 4-6 in Miami, FL. The event will cover tissue market developments, manufacturing innovations and strategic market insights. Peer-reviewed sessions encompassing technical aspects and best practices to help improve mill operations, machine efficiency, and converting improvements will also be included.
Anticipated attendees include senior executives and mill operations management from major tissue manufacturers, financial analysts, and investors, as well as leading machine, chemical, and process suppliers. Please join us on this exciting new endeavor! Mark your calendars now, and for more information visit www.tissue2017.com.
2016 Events Recap
For 100 years, TAPPI has been bringing together industry professionals to support knowledge sharing and professional growth. Here’s an “ICYMI” of 2016’s major events:
• Featuring a sold-out exhibit floor, PaperCon 2016 attracted more than 1,900 professionals from across the pulp, paper, tissue, and packaging industries. Held at the Duke Energy Convention Center in Cincinnati, OH, the event included keynote presentations, technical program tracks, New Technology Showcases, a comprehensive program and multiple networking opportunities.
• The International Nanotechnology Conference for Renewable Materials was held in Grenoble, France. The growth in the research, product development, and commercialization of cellulosic nanomaterials brought record numbers to the conference. With more than 300 delegates from 30 countries, it was the largest attendance for this conference to date.
• The Polymers, Laminates, Adhesives, Coatings and Extrusions (PLACE) Conference brought together professionals from all facets of the flexible packaging value chain, including suppliers, converters, and brand owners. Held in Fort Worth, TX, the conference featured nearly 50 peer-reviewed technical sessions, a New Technology Showcase, tabletop reception, and various networking events.
• More than 400 professionals attended the Pulping, Engineering, Environmental, Recycling and Sustainability (PEERS) Conference in Jacksonville, FL. Co-located with the International Bioenergy & Bioproducts Conference (IBBC) and the International Mechanical Pulping Conference (IMPC), the event provided a multitude of opportunities for networking, hands-on learning, and industry discussion.
• SuperCorrExpo 2016 branched away from its typical locale and was held in Orlando, FL, this year. With more than 150,000 square feet of exhibit floor featuring working machinery, the conference lived up to its reputation as the largest exposition for corrugated industry professionals in the Western Hemisphere.
For more information on TAPPI events, please visit www.tappi.org/calendar.
On the Bookshelf:
Starch and Starch Products in Surface Sizing and Paper Coating
Authors: G. Gordon Bugg, Dr. Detlev Glittenberg, Robert L. Kearney, Charles P. Klass, Anthony V. (Tony) Lyons, Stig V. Renvall
Editors: Dr. Hans W. Maurer,
Dr. Detlev Glittenberg
This is a comprehensive, updated overview of basic starch chemistry, starch modifications, quality control, shipment, storage, cooking, in-mill conversion, best practice of application in surface sizing and coating, and environmental aspects.
• Every chapter has been reviewed and updated to reflect the latest developments.
• Unique information on the technology not found in any other source.
• Pro and Con explanations of alternative processes.
To view the table of contents and see listing prices, visit www.tappi.org/Bookstore.
ABOVE: PaperCon 2016 featured a sold-out exhibit floor.
RIGHT: Cincinnati’s Duke Energy Convention Center, site of PaperCon 2016.